2020 ITTF Challenge Plus Nigeria Open cancelled
The 2020 ITTF Challenge Plus Nigeria Open has joined list of various sporting events that has being cancelled due to the Coronavirus pandemic that has ravaged the entire globe.
The tournament, which was recently upgraded to Challenge Plus was scheduled to take place at the Molade Okoya Thomas Indoor Sports Hall of the Teslim Balogun Stadium between August 18 and 22.
Speaking in response to the cancellation, Chairman of LOC , Wahid Oshodi said it is regrettable but the decision is in the interest of all stakeholders .
“We are pained that we have to cancel the tournament this year because all plans were in place to stage a befitting tournament, while our sponsors were also looking forward to an exciting tournament considering what we witnessed in 2019.
“But we are constrained by this pandemic to cancel this year’s edition and we are looking forward to being part of the new World Table Tennis (WTT) series in 2021,” he said.
Last year, a total number of 32 nations was parade while seven titles were on offer : men’s singles, women’s singles, men’s doubles, women’s doubles, under 21 men’s singles, under 21 women’s singles and for the first time, mixed doubles.